What is happening?
We will be upgrading your Birch Communications Web Hosting account, which will require a migration of your website to our new servers.
Why the change?
You’ll receive multiple web hosting service enhancements, including unlimited bandwidth transfer and new tools and features to help you market your business online, such as mobile optimization, social media integration and email marketing–all at no additional cost to you.
How does it work?
The process of moving your website to our upgraded platform will occur between now and Dec 15th, 2016. You will receive continue to receive additional updates about the migration.
- Prepare Servers: The process begins as we prepare the new servers for your website.
- Copy Site: We will make a copy of your existing website content and place it on the new servers.
- Confirm: Once the copy of your site has been placed on the new servers, we will notify you via email. Once you receive this confirmation, please verify that all aspects of your site are displaying and functioning properly. Your old site will remain as the active site and will not be deleted for 3 days.
Update DNS Record: Once you have confirmed your new website is working correctly, the DNS record must be updated in order to point traffic to your site’s new location. This will be done in one of two ways, depending on where you registered your domain.
- Option 1: Birch Communications is providing your DNS. This means all DNS records for your domain name are housed on our Name servers. In this situation, Birch Communications will update your records automatically. No action is required on your part.
- Option 2: Birch Communications is NOT providing your DNS. In this case, you will need to notify your provider to update the necessary records with your site’s new locations. This must be completed by you, the domain owner.
- Complete: Once your DNS record has been updated, the migration process is complete. Your old site will be turned down, and your new site will become the active site.
What is expected of me?
THE MIGRATION OF YOUR WEBSITE SHOULD REQUIRE MINIMAL ACTION ON YOUR PART UNLESS YOU FALL INTO ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CATEGORIES:
- If you have your DNS with another provider, but have your web hosting with Birch Communications, it will be your responsibility to update your DNS records after the migration. Customers who have their DNS with Birch Communications should not have any issues.
- If you are linking to your IP address rather than your domain name within any HTML content on your website, we will attempt to update these links after the IP address changes. However, after the move we recommend that you check your site to make sure that all links have been updated properly. You can avoid any broken links by removing references to specific IP addresses and replacing them with your domain name.
- If you have database components tied to your website, we do not have access to the database application. In order to facilitate the complete migration of your site(s), your database(s) must be move as well. More information can be found in the article: How to Migrate A MySQL Database
- If you have any SSL certificates that reference your current domain name server, we will attempt to modify these for you. However, we recommend that once the move is completed you reconfirm the certificates to make sure they have been updated to reflect your new domain name server. Failure to do so may result in an SSL certificate error message.
- If you have an ecommerce plug-in tied to your website, the content of your ecommerce tool may not be moved over to the new website. Ecommerce tools hosted with outside scripts or 3rd party applications will be supported during the transition, however you should ensure the site links properly on the temporary URL prior to DNS cutover.
- If you have custom CGI scripts, we will attempt to migrate any that you may have running on your site. Once we have notified you that your move is completed, please verify and recreate your scripts as needed.
- If you want to retain your site's statistics, you will need to download them to your local computer prior to the move. When the migration of your service has been completed, you can activate and set up the new statistics manager for the new location. The website statistics application on your new site is not compatible with the previous application provided.
If you encounter any problems with your new web site or if you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact our dedicated Web Hosting support team at 1-800-890-7373 or firstname.lastname@example.org.